Magnus on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:34:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SAGE/USENIX

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 07:09 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

And just how many have you hired? Of what level?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20, from the intern level on up to seasoned sysadmins and one CIO.

(Considering the project only *started* about a year and a
half ago, I think that's rather impressive. But perhaps you could do
better?)

If I felt like it. :)

Well, then you perhaps should have consulted SAGE's numbers when
discussing salary. They'd either have improved your state or put
your desires in a more realistic framework. (I don't know what
you're paid, and I don't want to.)

A couple of times I've had HR types tell me that "surveys say you should be making $xx,xxx annually in this region" and I've never had a problem saying "If you want an average person, average pay is okay. If you want someone exceptional, you will have to do better than that." And there is truth to that. The average IT guy out there will skew your true value *downward*. The people out there who have computers in their bones, and give me a chance to give you props and say you are clearly one of them, is worth a lot more than the average IT goon.

But it doesn't really matter; if you don't think it's valuable to
you, that's fine, but it's hardly fair to besmirch it publicly based
only on a cursory "costs too much, I'm not going to bother
considering it" examination.

We disagree. It's not the first time, and won't be the last. :)

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"