Kam Salisbury on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:44:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SAGE/USENIX

> I also note that you apparently haven't actually *been* to a SAGE- or
> Usenix-sponsored conference. There are plenty of other (besides
> me) people on this list who were at LISA this past time around in
> Philly. I found it to be distinctly valuable, and I'd like to think that
> I know at least a little bit of what I'm talking about.
-snip
> But it doesn't really matter; if you don't think it's valuable to
> you, that's fine, but it's hardly fair to besmirch it publicly based
> only on a cursory "costs too much, I'm not going to bother
> considering it" examination.
>
> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

I have to agree with Gabriel on many points. I am a USENIX/SAGE member.
Yes, it cost $150 American. No, I am not officially SAGE certified yet. I
am not LPI certified yet either but neither has any bearing on my
capabilities on either platform. Yes, I joined because I belive in trying
to do my part to bring some standardization to the career field in
general. I feel very strongly about certification and standardization that
is not vendor specific. I also feel strongly about process and
foundational comprehension in terms of technical knowledge. You could say
I am very interested in learning why the fishing lure works the way it
does versus just learning how to fish in general.

Did SAGE membership do anything for my career this past year? Yes, I
actually made a career change this year and received a couple of relevant
offers in response to my post of availability via the SAGE website.

Did I learn anything from SAGE materials that will benefit my career thus
far? Yes. I am a strong script writer but still weak programmatically. I
can look at a make file and possibly see what is wrong but I could not
really write a C program from scratch. I also received some very relevant
and well meant feedback from other SAGE members regarding C expertise in a
person's career background.

Do I feel that everyone should be a SAGE member? If your career track is
the care and feeding of enterprise server class operating systems and
hardware, yes, I do. I cannot speak for the other career tracks out there
since they are not my thing.

Oh, and don;t get me started on the long hours at salary pay thing.
Remember what Grandma said about it being to hot in the kitchen? This
career track is demanding and competitive. Deal. Enjoy the burn.

--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com