William H. Magill on Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:49:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SAGE/USENIX

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 09:43 PM, Kam Salisbury wrote:
Yes, I joined because I belive in trying
to do my part to bring some standardization to the career field in
general. I feel very strongly about certification and standardization that
is not vendor specific. I also feel strongly about process and
foundational comprehension in terms of technical knowledge. You could say
I am very interested in learning why the fishing lure works the way it
does versus just learning how to fish in general.

This is a very important point. Kam joined SAGE voluntarily!

Pennsylvania is NOT a Right to Work state. There are many companies where your ability to hold a job at that company is contingent on being a member of the "Guild" aka Union.

And I'm not talking about the Building Trades here, but about Radio, TV, Newspapers, Librarians.

While a "closed shop" is something that most employers hate, in Pennsylvania they are legal, and companies have been known to go out of business trying to prevent them.

This is not to say that I disagree with SAGE, on the contrary, I was one of the first members and have remained one, as well as an ACM member.

Both organizations are committed to bringing "honor" and "prestige" to the industry. You meet people at their conferences that you will never meet at a PLUG meeting... simply because they come from other parts of the world.

The volume of information available at a LISA or USENIX or ACM conference is mind numbing.
They are not trade shows, but events where the most not-yet-state-of-the-art techniques and technologies are expounded upon and exchanged.

It is true, if you have no interest in anything but what the vendor wants to supply you with, then there is no reason to attend or participate.

But events like DECUS of old and even Encompass of pre HP days provided a forum for the exchange of ideas. Linus' first visit to the United States was paid for by DECUS. Long before the media had any idea such a thing as Linux existed, let along was important. You cannot begin to put a value on the ability to sit around and bend elbows over 3 or 4 days with someone like him or Mad Dog. (Especially while cruising down the river on a paddle-boat!)

There are those for whom a job is just a job. For others it is a "position" and for others it is a career. While it is true that not everyone cares or "needs to know" what is going on in the world around them, people who do find the cost of an organization like SAGE to be cheap.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com