William H. Magill on Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:21:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Job Titles? (Was: web developer job opening)

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 12:04 PM, Chris Mann wrote:
On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 11:30, Magnus wrote:
Hiring managers and especially HR people and recruiters often lump all
us computer guys together, and randomly choose titles that other
computer related workers have had.  I've seen a lot of "system
administrator" and "network administrator" confusion, when really they
are two distinct disciplines that have a little bit of overlap.  Or
"system programmer" and "programmer/analyst" being used to describe a
system administrator.  If you search strictly based on your actual job
title you're going to be really disappointed.  In job searching today
you need to search for all jobs that are even slightly related to your
own in order to get all the hits.  It can surely be frustrating.

We were kicking around the job title snafu a few weeks ago here at the office. I think everyone agrees that for the most part, unless your in the IT industry, the difference between a sysadmin and a netadmin appears to be semantics. However to those of us in the industry, the difference is pretty glaring.

What we thought would be interesting is to see the formation of a IT
Guild of sorts, with ratings of Apprentice to Master in the fields and
sub fields of the industry. That would give a pretty easy and clear cut
job title and ability of the person.

Then again, we thought that since that idea kind of makes sense it
probably won't happen for umteen million reason.

It happened about 20 years ago... (1992)

SAGE, The System Administrators Guild, is a "Special Technical Group" of Usenix
www.sage.org

It has been defining System Administration, sponsoring LISA now for many years, and has recently begun a system of certification schemes.

While many major corporations have adopted the SAGE job titles and definitions, those are few and far between.

See the "jobs and work" section for the job descriptions.

However, the problem comes with the inclusion of Microsoft in the Enterprise. SAGE has always been an "Enterprise Computing" organization -- Sites that had mainframes running Unix. (Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Unix gear - Sun, Dec, SGI, Thinking Machines, etc.) Note that a "small site" is one with 50 computers.

If you are in the Windows world, you get stuck with whatever MSE designations they invent.

Apple is not there (the enterprise) yet, and Linux is more or less following Usenix/SAGE on the issue.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com