Tom Diehl on Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:59:05 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Web developer job opening

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, William H. Magill wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 11:16  AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> > Seems to me I recently read an article or short note regarding
> > software engineers in Texas. Apparently the TX government is being
> > hostile towards people claiming to be software engineers despite not
> > having passed Texas' certifications; looks like TX actually requires
> > their engineers to be certified. Unfortunately, while they're
> > threatening prosecution of non-certified software engineers, they
> > aren't offering a certification process for software engineers.
>
> This has to do with fees payed to the government to allow you to work.
>
> These are historically called "licenses" but are a means for the
> government to collect fees and for various occupations to restrict
> access to that occupation.
>
> The most common version of this is the Driver's License.
>
> Then there are Doctors and Lawyers and "Professional Engineers." PEs
> are normally required to sign off on almost every kind of "engineering
> drawing" there is if it involves any kind of "construction," except for
> telephones.
>
> The "story" is that these licenses "protect" the public from
> "unqualified" practitioners.
>
> Here in Pennsylvania, we simply have the "occupation tax" in many
> communities. In those, Philadelphia is not one, you have to pay a "tax"
> so that you can work.
>
> It is really an ugly business that has nothing to do with "protecting"
> the public.

Agreed 1000%. I do find it interesting though that the FAA has not decided to
charge me for my Airframe and powerplant license though. To my knowledge the
FAA does not charge for any of it's licenses. It has been a long time since
I got mine. For sure there is still no annual fee but they might be
charging up front. I doubt it though.

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl@rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap		mtd123@rogueind.com