William H. Magill on Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:32:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Web developer job opening

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 11:16 AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
Seems to me I recently read an article or short note regarding
software engineers in Texas. Apparently the TX government is being
hostile towards people claiming to be software engineers despite not
having passed Texas' certifications; looks like TX actually requires
their engineers to be certified. Unfortunately, while they're
threatening prosecution of non-certified software engineers, they
aren't offering a certification process for software engineers.

This has to do with fees payed to the government to allow you to work.

These are historically called "licenses" but are a means for the government to collect fees and for various occupations to restrict access to that occupation.

The most common version of this is the Driver's License.

Then there are Doctors and Lawyers and "Professional Engineers." PEs are normally required to sign off on almost every kind of "engineering drawing" there is if it involves any kind of "construction," except for telephones.

The "story" is that these licenses "protect" the public from "unqualified" practitioners.

Here in Pennsylvania, we simply have the "occupation tax" in many communities. In those, Philadelphia is not one, you have to pay a "tax" so that you can work.

It is really an ugly business that has nothing to do with "protecting" the public.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com