Kevin Brosius on Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:48:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Web developer job opening

"William H. Magill" wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 11:16  AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> > Seems to me I recently read an article or short note regarding
> > software engineers in Texas. Apparently the TX government is being
> > hostile towards people claiming to be software engineers despite not
> > having passed Texas' certifications; looks like TX actually requires
> > their engineers to be certified. Unfortunately, while they're
> > threatening prosecution of non-certified software engineers, they
> > aren't offering a certification process for software engineers.
>
> This has to do with fees payed to the government to allow you to work.
>
> These are historically called "licenses" but are a means for the
> government to collect fees and for various occupations to restrict
> access to that occupation.
>
> The most common version of this is the Driver's License.
>
> Then there are Doctors and Lawyers and "Professional Engineers." PEs
> are normally required to sign off on almost every kind of "engineering
> drawing" there is if it involves any kind of "construction," except for
> telephones.

I find it a little comforting that building construction and civil
(highway/bridge construction) engineers have some oversight, based on a
test that covers engineering fundamentals and practices.  You feel that
the PE certification is a waste?

> The "story" is that these licenses "protect" the public from
> "unqualified" practitioners.
>
> Here in Pennsylvania, we simply have the "occupation tax" in many
> communities. In those, Philadelphia is not one, you have to pay a "tax"
> so that you can work.

Really?  What happened to the Philly wage tax?  I haven't heard anything
recent, was it removed?

--
Kevin Brosius