William H. Magill on Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:42:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Job Titles? (Was: web developer job opening)

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 10:18 AM, Magnus wrote:
On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 10:13 AM, Bob Schwier wrote:
If SAGE is thought of as a union or guild and if the annual fee is $150
then you all are getting off cheap. My union dues are relatively low but
at one percent of my gross wage, they are considerably more than $150.

But this is not a union. A union negotiates on your behalf to get favorable working conditions, benefits, job security, etc. A union makes sure that your employer is providing you with a safe working environment and not mistreating you. I have yet to see an organized IT shop (while they might exist, I've yet to hear of one).

Yale University is one that I know of.

Off hand I don't know the Union involved. However, the difference between working at the University of Pennsylvania (non union) and then Yale (union) was a large part of the reason that the Vice Provost for Computing is now at the University of Texas.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com