Paul on Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:48:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Cross-platform hardware problem

Bob Schwier wrote:

If you are truly desparate, and I have been with that same screw up,
rewrite the master boot record under Norton's Diskedit with a generic mbr
which is given in the book that comes with Norton 8.0 for DOS though not
with the later system works. The other alternative is to use Diskedit or
Edlin and zero the blasted thing out so it has to rebuild itself.
With the first method, you can save your programs, with the later, you are
trashing the harddrive as surely as using a format command.
bs

I'm sorry if this is way off (I haven't been paying close attention to this thread because I don't like to read long replies.), but, would installing GRUB as a boot loader help?