Magnus on Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:44:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 09:11 AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:

I want to try Linux on my wife's SPARCStation 20.

What I'd like to see:
- Supports SMP.

Generically Linux does this.

- Relatively easy to install. Doesn't have to be Windows easy, but I
don't want to have to do EVERYTHING by hand. If possible, I'd like it
to install a GUI desktop without much trouble.

Would you consider Red Hat 7.3 easy? Check out Aurora. It's a port of Red Hat 7.3 to SPARC & UltraSPARC.

- Relatively easy to run. My wife is a smart lady, but not a true
geek. I'll be finding most of the answers, at least the first time.
I'd prefer to do that on MY system, not hers.

Yeah, methinks you want Aurora.

That said, I'd say the SMP is probably the most important. This box
is like a pair of 486s, so I'd rather be able to use both of them.

Anybody have any recommendations? Thanks.

If you like Debian, it is also available on SPARC & UltraSPARC. If your tastes run towards more of a pure BSD UNIX, OpenBSD will run great on this machine *but* will only use your first processor.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"