Jeffrey J. Nonken on Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:30:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:04:37 -0400, Rebecca Ore wrote:
>You might want to see where NetBSD is with SMP support, though if
>they've got it now, OpenBSD would have it.  How this is working in
>Sparcs seems to change week by week and I haven't looked lately.

*nod* Thanks, I've actually played with NetBSD a bit, I probably will
again, and I'd recently heard they now have SMP support on SPARC. But
I'd like to stick to Linux for this one.

Part of the reason for that is some of the programs I've tried to
compile for Solaris just didn't compile. Some don't even configure. I
dunno, BSD isn't Solaris, but I get the feeling that if I stick to
Linux, I'll have less trouble.

And I'd like to get my wife up and running relatively quickly, not
have to stop to debug every little thing. Her computer needs are less
extensive than mine, so I think I can migrate her from Windows more
quickly. But if it's a long, drawn-out process, with her hovering
over me for hours while I try to get stuff running, then I'm going to
lose patience rather quickly and just set her back up with Wintel.

I dunno. Maybe I should just give up on the Sun hardware and put
Linux on an Intel box.