Magnus on Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:47:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] POP vs. IMAP...which is better?

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 03:35 PM, Marc Zucchelli wrote:

My question is, why do
I never hear of anybody using it.

People tend to get stuck in a rut I guess.

All of the webhosts
out there offer "POP3 email accounts" but no IMAP.

Well truth is if you connect to the imap port, there is often an imap daemon listening (but the ISP doesn't advertise this).

IMAP is much harder on the server than POP and thus more expensive to maintain.

Also, what I'm increasingly finding when I talk to ISP techies, they either don't know or don't care about doing things better. I guess the margins have gotten pretty lean or something and you find ISP's doing just what they have to in order to satisfy the ignorant masses.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"