Bradley Molnar on Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:55:14 -0400

RE: [PLUG] POP vs. IMAP...which is better?

Probably the main reason ISP's don't use IMAP is that IMAP (by default)
saves everything to the server and only downloads the headers of the e-mail
first, and the whole message when you try to open it.  As far as I know,
IMAP puts a higher strain on the server and generally requires more server
processor and HD space than POP3.

Since most home users just check their e-mail from one location and download
it all to their machine, POP3 more than covers what they need.

Most businesses like IMAP for some of the reasons you just described.  FWIW,
MS Exchange (the e-mail server) is basically extended and embraced IMAP +
some groupware stuff.

I really like IMAP better for most uses.  Especially since I check my e-mail
on more than one machine and like having the same messages in the same
folders all the time.

-b