Art Clemons on Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:35:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] POP vs. IMAP...which is better?

Mark Zucchelli:
even yahoo has a POP3 email service, but I
never see IMAP offered anywhere, why is this?  Is
there really a reason to use POP3 over IMAP?  Is there
something that IMAP is seriously lacking in?

IMAP is supposed to be less secure than POP3, and it does require more resources to operate. That being said, it is possible to make it secure or rather more secure since nothing except being turned off is really secure. Also, AOL for example has a tunneling protocol with its IMAP operation, which only recent versions of Netscape can perform. I probably would not still be using AOL for mail otherwise. One more comment, I'm told by those who have to maintain systems that IMAP can be a lot more work to maintain.