Paul on Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:05:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] power supplies

Bradley Molnar wrote:

hello all-

my current machine has a power supply that runs way too hot for this weather
(and too hot just in general).

I was wondering if anyone knew of (or is using) a 350-400W power supply that
ran cool.  Cool in this case is described as, under normal loads, is not the
most effective method of heating up the room I'm in.  This one, when idling,
would heat the room up to about 95 degrees F.

Any brands to look at/avoid would be appreciated.

Oh, this is for intel hardware.

I would recommend buying a power supply at a place like CompUSA because, if it blows up, you can take it in and get a replacement. That was my brother-in-law's experience. CompUSA only gave him minor resistance. Much better RMA'ing it and mailing it out.

My generic supplies run fairly cool. Generic meaning that I don't know the name brands, but I know they're not big names. Better supplies should run cooler unless something is drawing a lot of current.