Michael Bevilacqua on Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:57:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:16:37AM -0400, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> My only experience with Debian so far has been less than exciting.

*shrug* It's not intended to be. The package system is why it shines
above the rest. This has held true to my stringent specifications across
both intel and sparc archs in their stable level distro.

> I'm not sure I'd count a distro that doesn't properly install my
> standard hardware (like a PS/2 mouse) as "simple to set up."

Agreed. But then who said it was simple?

> It didn't like my RealTek 8129, either, but all the other distros were
> quite happy with it.

You have as much support under Debian as you do with any other distro.
It may require more tweaking to get there, but I promise this makes you
a stronger admin :-) (did I mention it's fun to achieve these goals as
well?)

> Doesn't mean I'm not willing to try again some time. And it may be a
> different story for Sun SPARC hardware. But it's definitely near the
> bottom of my list.

Sparc hardware is generally simpler to setup since there isn't too much
variation in the specs from model minor to model minor, as opposed to
ia32 where you have 10 companies make chipsets for one spec, and
throwing in their little enhancements along the way.

--
Regards,

Michael Bevilacqua

   ~