Tom on Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:23:31 -0400

Re: [PLUG] power supplies

On Saturday 21 June 2003 00:13, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 02:59:54PM -0400, Bradley Molnar wrote:
> > Looks like I have some dissection to be doing this weekend.
>
> FWIW, The position of the heat sink relative to being vertical or
> horizontal make large differences in thermal dissipation. A heat sink is
> supposed to be setup so the ridges run top to bottom (vertically) not
> horizontally like I've seen accidentally from time to time. And as the
> list has suggested, add a fan or two, and make sure you keep it away
> from the walls so it can breathe freely.

A heatsink is supposed to be oriented so that the air flows through the fins.

              ------------------
air ->>    ------------------
              ------------------

           correct way

If you put it the other way, the airflow is messed up and the heatsink won't
cool properly.

            |  |  |
            |  |  |

  wrong way

If you have a fan underneath the power supply, the fins should be horizontal
to allow the air to flow through the fins.

HTH,
Tom