Jeffrey J. Nonken on Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:46:10 -0400

[PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

Well, I've been downloading various Linux/SPARC distros, even before
I posted here. First one I got was SuSE, second was Debian, both now
burned to CD. I've also got Mandrake and Aurora on my hard drive.

The SuSE install seemed to start out OK, but it choked when it tried
to partition my hard drives. Kept saying something about an invalid
partition table. I found the error on their web site; it basically
said, yeah, that happens sometimes, just keep going and it'll fix
itself.

It didn't.

So I tried Debian. Some trouble reading the CD-Rs on the old drive,
so I swapped out the 24x, which makes installation less painful
anyway.

Debian seemed to go well, including the partitioning, but couldn't
make the drive bootable. Didn't really say why. It insisted I could
make a bootable floppy, but didn't explain how I could do that on a
system with no floppy drive.

So I put the SuSE install disc back in, and suddenly now I can
partition the hard drives. SuSE didn't like the way Debian made the
partitions (wanted them to be on cylinder boundries or some such),
but no trouble fixing it.

SuSE is now booted, logged into a KDE desktop. It couldn't get a
response from my DHCP server during the install, but I haven't had a
chance to see if it's OK now.

My wife got back from out of town a few minutes ago. Said "Cool" when
I said I'd just gotten Linux running, then immediately switched the
monitor over and cranked up her Wintel box.

Ah well. Guess she had to catch up on her email and stuff, which
after all is installed on the Wintel box.