Jeffrey J. Nonken on Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:35:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:59:21 -0400, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
>>proactive. It's a passive desire.
>
>Passive yet obtainable with a little direction and well rewarded in
>the
>end result. Again, its a slower system compared to Intels,

Well, as compared to more modern machines. I've got 486 motherboards downstairs, and they're Intels.

> but if built
>properly, you can get a noticeable performance increase. I'd

I'm not yet at the point of knowing how to build it properly. For that matter, I'm not yet at the point of knowing how to install it. I suppose I could have looked on Debian's site to find out why it can't install the bootloader, but I decided to try SuSE again and see if it would work, now that something else has successfully nuked the Sun partition information. (I tried to figure out why SuSE couldn't do that. They had the error listed in their knowledge base. Basically it said, "It's not a real error. Just keep going and it'll fix itself." I kept going. It didn't fix itself.) Having gotten that running, my first impulse was naturally, "Great! It works! Now let's spend another hour throwing that away so I can try another distro that I already have bad feelings about."

In fact, if I were to do that, I'd probably rather re-establish the Solaris partitioning information and try to find a distro that can actually do the whole install. This "almost works, have to kludge it piecemeal" stuff doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

>recommend
>fluxbox as the window manager for this system. Under Debian, just
>`apt-get install fluxbox`.

I'll keep it in mind.

>For the other programs, apt-get install gaim, xchat, kmail...

I have my own objections to gaim, but I don't feel like getting into yet another argument about why my priorities are wrong.

How about Weather Bug?

>>And while it's a pretty decent machine, going to an SS20 is a big
>>step
>>backwards in performance. I could migrate her on the Intel
>>platform,
>>and probably will some day, but it'll be pretty disruptive to just
>>drop everything and force a switchover.
>>
>>I can't MAKE her want to do this. I give up. I have better things
>>do with my time.
>
>Sounds like you need to sell its tangibility. Have I ever mentioned
>my
>girlfriend uses Debian on her P4 2GHz?

That's hardly a fair comparison to an SS20.