Michael Bevilacqua on Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:00:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 09:06:17AM -0400, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> Pair of 75 MHz processors (not ROSS), 8 meg VSIMM, about 192 meg of
> RAM, 4 gig or so of hard drive (varies, I have 1g and 2g drives I can
> install internally, plus external drives), 100 mbit NIC, type 5
> kb/mouse. I have both the older 2x internal drive and a 24x external
> drive; I swapped the latter in for this install. (I have two complete
> systems; the other is currently running Solaris 9, slightly less RAM,
> a 36G 4-pack, and so on.)
> 8 meg. I also have two SG6 framebuffers, but eventually I replaced
> them with VSIMMs on each machine. More colors, and I can adjust the
> resolution -- which is critical on my wife's machine, as her monitor
> maxes out at 1024x768.

Oh wow, Nice box! :-D

> However, while my wife intellectually likes the idea of migrating to
> Linux, she's not really enthusiastic. If I present her with a complete
> solution, she'll probably go for it. Unfortunately it requires a lot
> of effort and ambition on my part. Windows 2000 is working for her,
> along with Weather Bug, Agent newsreader/email, AIM, mIRC, and a few
> other odd items. She wants to learn Linux, but isn't willing to be
> proactive. It's a passive desire.

Passive yet obtainable with a little direction and well rewarded in the
end result. Again, its a slower system compared to Intels, but if built
properly, you can get a noticeable performance increase. I'd recommend
fluxbox as the window manager for this system. Under Debian, just
`apt-get install fluxbox`.

For the other programs, apt-get install gaim, xchat, kmail...

> And while it's a pretty decent machine, going to an SS20 is a big step
> backwards in performance. I could migrate her on the Intel platform,
> and probably will some day, but it'll be pretty disruptive to just
> drop everything and force a switchover.
>
> I can't MAKE her want to do this. I give up. I have better things to
> do with my time.

Sounds like you need to sell its tangibility. Have I ever mentioned my
girlfriend uses Debian on her P4 2GHz?

http://bevilacqua.us/Systems/R2D2.html

--
Regards,