Jeffrey J. Nonken on Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:07:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:23:34 -0400 (EDT), Joel Matz wrote:
>If your looking at Debian vs Aurora I'd have  to ask what's on the
>SS20?
>
>I had one with ROSS modules, Debian worked better with it than
>Aurora due
>to Deb shipping with a 2.2 level kernel (much faster on ROSS)

Pair of 75 MHz processors (not ROSS), 8 meg VSIMM, about 192 meg of RAM, 4 gig or so of hard drive (varies, I have 1g and 2g drives I can install internally, plus external drives), 100 mbit NIC, type 5 kb/mouse. I have both the older 2x internal drive and a 24x external drive; I swapped the latter in for this install. (I have two complete systems; the other is currently running Solaris 9, slightly less RAM, a 36G 4-pack, and so on.)

>Also, if you've got a 4 meg VSIMM do yourself a favor & upgrade to a
>8 meg
>($15 on ebay)

8 meg. I also have two SG6 framebuffers, but eventually I replaced them with VSIMMs on each machine. More colors, and I can adjust the resolution -- which is critical on my wife's machine, as her monitor maxes out at 1024x768.

>Aurora was a more smoothly packaged install but I really like the
>sparse
>install of Debian.  I liked the RHat UI better than KDE though.

I tried SuSE first. It couldn't write the partitions. Then I tried Debian. It could write the partitions but couldn't write the boot image. Then I tried SuSE again. Now that Debian has been used to partition the drives, SuSE could do what it needed (including fixing some partition issues that it didn't like). SuSE seems to be working quite happily now. I haven't yet burned Aurora or Mandrake to CD. Splack seems to have been abandoned.

>Either one go for slow burned images.

Yeah, I actually guessed that when the 2x drive would read some but not all of the discs I'd burned. Fortunately, the 24x is quite happy with them, but I'll do slow burns in the future. Thanks for confirming my guess.

However, while my wife intellectually likes the idea of migrating to Linux, she's not really enthusiastic. If I present her with a complete solution, she'll probably go for it. Unfortunately it requires a lot of effort and ambition on my part. Windows 2000 is working for her, along with Weather Bug, Agent newsreader/email, AIM, mIRC, and a few other odd items. She wants to learn Linux, but isn't willing to be proactive. It's a passive desire.

And while it's a pretty decent machine, going to an SS20 is a big step backwards in performance. I could migrate her on the Intel platform, and probably will some day, but it'll be pretty disruptive to just drop everything and force a switchover.

I can't MAKE her want to do this. I give up. I have better things to do with my time.