Stephen Gran on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:10:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Accessing a FAT32 drive from Linux

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:38:56PM -0400, George Langford said:
> Hello Plug !
>
> Here's some more information.
>
> The BookPC's BIOS is perfectly happy with both the 40GB and 80GB
> Maxtor drives on the same cable - The 80GB's in the middle as
> Slave and the 40GB's at the end as Master.

That's a good start - if the BIOS is happy with the drives and finds
them during the IDE scan at boot time, linux should be able to handle
them, if they aren't completely hosed.

> What I'm discovering is that Red Hat Linux chokes when it tries to
> detect the 80GB drive - and there's no opportunity to mount it along
> with the floppy drive when I right-click on the display [desktop ?].
> I need to work out a command-line syntax to tell Linux what file
> system to look for. That's when I get all glassy-eyed.

(as root): mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt (I'm assuming you only have one
partition on your drive, and it is the slave on the first IDE cable)

> Thanks to Jeff for helping me decide that the W98SE/WinXP mess
> wasn't worth saving.  None of the participants here, on Experts-X,
> or anywhere else on the 'Net ever solved the sorts of error
> messages that I was getting - Hall.dll hosed; fdisk giving me
> the rong disk size, proprietary file system.  Heck, I even tried
> deleting the Windows directory from the other 80GB drive - it
> let me try & went through the motions, but it was all still there
> to get in the way of a W98SE reinstall after all was said and done.

Good luck fixing a severely broken Win98 install - I've never succeeded
with anything short of burnt-earth approaches.  'deltree' from real DOS
- not the sorta DOS shell that you can get from within Windows - will
usually do it, but Windows won't let you.

Good luck, and HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | In the future, you're going to get      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | computers as prizes in breakfast        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | cereals. You'll throw them out because  |
|  			         | your house will be littered with them.  |