Magnus on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:25:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DelCo [was "Your Linux Meetup is cancelled"]

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 10:57 AM, M. Jackson Wilkinson wrote:

Huh?  From census.gov:

Bucks: 605,375
Chester: 443,346
Delaware: 551,158
Montgomery: 759,953

Those are 2001 estimates, at which point delaware was growing most slowly of the four suburban counties, at .1% per year as opposed to 1.3 (bucks), 2.4 (chester), and 1.3 (montgomery).

But anyone can have their illusions, I suppose ;-)

*boggle* Yeah, you caught me screwing up my numbers. My intentions were honest, but my articulation was less than accurate.

I think part of the problem was that I was looking at 1990 numbers (which places DelCo ahead of all but MontCo).

But I think that my real blunder was probably that DelCo has the highest population *density*, outside of Philadelphia County itself, with almost 3,000 people per square mile (fully twice Montgomery County's density, more than three times Bucks County and *six times* Chester County. While it's a small county by landmass, by US Census standards it is an urban county. And nearly every municipality in the county is urban.

With DelCo being such a densely populated region, I was just surprised that there isn't more interest in geek GTG's

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"