Art Alexion on Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:23:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DelCo [was "Your Linux Meetup is cancelled"]

On 25 Jun 2003 at 11:24, Magnus wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 10:57 AM, M. Jackson Wilkinson wrote:
>
> > Huh?  From census.gov:
> >
> > Bucks: 605,375
> > Chester: 443,346
> > Delaware: 551,158
> > Montgomery: 759,953
> >
> > Those are 2001 estimates, at which point delaware was growing most
> > slowly of the four suburban counties, at .1% per year as opposed to
> > 1.3 (bucks), 2.4 (chester), and 1.3 (montgomery).
> >
> > But anyone can have their illusions, I suppose ;-)
>
> *boggle*  Yeah, you caught me screwing up my numbers.  My intentions
> were honest, but my articulation was less than accurate.
>
> I think part of the problem was that I was looking at 1990 numbers
> (which places DelCo ahead of all but MontCo).
>
> But I think that my real blunder was probably that DelCo has the
> highest population *density*, outside of Philadelphia County itself,
> with almost 3,000 people per square mile (fully twice Montgomery
> County's density, more than three times Bucks County and *six times*
> Chester County.  While it's a small county by landmass, by US Census
> standards it is an urban county.  And nearly every municipality in the
> county is urban.
>
> With DelCo being such a densely populated region, I was just surprised
> that there isn't more interest in geek GTG's

Delco, being the oldest of the suburban counties (I don't mean the county first
established as such; I mean the first to grow in a suburban, rather than rural, fashion)
has grown the most densely and now the most slowly.  Of the four counties, it "feels"
the most like a city neighborhood.  But this is really off topic.