David Coulson on Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:53:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bridge is causing the kernel to panic

Bradley Molnar wrote:
I am working with setting up a RH9 machine as a bridge firewalling bridge,
using iptables and the bridge-utils.

Does RH9 contain the bridge-nf patch? You will need this if you want to filter layer 3 traffic on a bridge.

Once the machine is up and running I run this series of commands.

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1
ifdown eth0
ifdown eth1
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
ifconfig br0 0.0.0.0

You'll want to bring up eth0, eth1 and br0. You also want to disable STP if you don't need it. I personally would bring up eth0 and eth1 without IPs before ading them to the bridge so they start forwarding frames as soon as possible.

and then all is fine until I try to actually use the bridging.  Even a
simple ping will cause a kernel panic.  I know that this isn't a ton of
details, but, I don't know if or where this information would be saved.

What is the kernel panic? I'm using bridging on about 5 boxes and I've never had a problem with it. You may want to look at using a standard kernel patches with bridge-nf and ebtables if you want to setup a bridge firewall.

At first I thought it might be a problem between iptables and the bridge,
so, I stopped and cleared the iptables rules, but the same thing happened.

Without patches, the iptables system never sees anything going through the bridge.

I should probably also mention that this machine is connected to a T1, if
that makes a difference.  The company providing the T1 (allegiancetelcom)
placed a device that makes it so that we can connect the T1 to a standard
ethernet hub/switch.  This is how it is connected.

Ethernet is Ethernet - Your problem is with the kernel, not with the Ethernet connection.

David

--
David Coulson                                    email: d@vidcoulson.com
Linux Developer /                          web: http://davidcoulson.net/