Art Alexion on Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:32:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DelCo [was "Your Linux Meetup is cancelled"]

On 25 Jun 2003 at 11:42, Magnus wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 11:30 AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
>
>> Any chance to geek without driving into Philly.
>
> My thoughts exactly.  I don't mind driving into Philly on the weekends
> (and often do) when I have time to burn but after work on a weeknight,
> when the roads are jammed up and time is short, nawww I would rather
> not get stuck on 76 trying to get into Center City just to grab a
> couple of cold ones and geek out for a couple hours.

I live in Montco, but find it much easier to get in and out of the city than to travel to
another suburb.  Sure, it would be nice to have a meeting in Abington or cheltenham,
but for many of us, it is easier to get to center city than, for instance, to get from
where I live to anywhere in Delco or even Western Montgomery County.  And city
traffic is nothing compared to suburban bottleneck traffic.

> When I'm living in Prospect Park later this summer I'll be more
> inclined to go to places in town that are a short walk from any of the
> major SEPTA regional rail stations.  But for now I'm looking for more
> local geeking opportunities.

And SEPTA is the real answer to traffic (and expensive parking).

I, too, have been finding getting into West Philly tough on Wednesdays, but would
welcome other center city opportunities.