Michael C. Toren on Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:53:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bridge is causing the kernel to panic

> >#2 - what is STP?  You mention wanting it disabled.
>
> Spanning Tree Protocol - It's used for commiunication between bridges to
> optimise network topology, but you don't need it if you have a linear
> network or just one bridge.

I don't know that I'd say STP optimizes the topology; rather, it's
responsible for removing layer2 loops by shutting down redundant paths,
so that only one path at any given time is active -- ethernet segments
can only function properly with one active path.  However, you are
correct that it's not necessary on a linear network.

More information can be found at:

    <http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/sw_ntman/cwsimain/cwsi2/cwsiug2/vlan2/stpapp.htm>

Or, for your convenience:

    <http://tinyurl.com/fdcx>