Will Dyson on Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:48:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] debian testing gnome-session (gnome 2.0?)

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 09:37, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I just upgraded by debian testing box. Seems gnome is now gnome 2.0
> instead of gnome 1.4 (?). Anyway, X came up with sawfish but no gnome,
> because gnome-session had disappeared. I apt-got gnome-session and
> ran it. Various complaints about upgrades and stuff, I restarted X a
> few times to see if it would become stable, now X just hangs the
> console. (I had to reboot the machine to free it, I had already killed
> everything remotely related to console from an ssh session trying to
> free it up.)
>
> Any thoughts what might be going on or what to do?

What version of X is currently in testing? Does X only get hosed when
running gnome-session?

 Strange that gnome-session got uninstalled instead of upgraded. There
is also a gnome-core metapackage, that includes most of gnome (and
gnome, which includes the kitchen sink).

> BTW, apt-getting gnome-session did not modify the X initialization
> stuff. I had to create a .xinitrc with the line "exec gnome-session"
> to get gnome-session to start automatically. Before gnome-session just
> ran without my intervention.

Are you using GDM or XDM as a display manager? I think GDM is what knows
how to start gnome-session automaticly.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman