Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:31:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] debian testing gnome-session (gnome 2.0?)

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 07:45:46PM -0400, Will Dyson wrote:
>   [35 lines, 245 words, 1615 characters]  Top characters: enoia_rg
>
> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 09:37, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > I just upgraded by debian testing box. Seems gnome is now gnome 2.0
> > instead of gnome 1.4 (?). Anyway, X came up with sawfish but no gnome,
> > because gnome-session had disappeared. I apt-got gnome-session and
> > ran it. Various complaints about upgrades and stuff, I restarted X a
> > few times to see if it would become stable, now X just hangs the
> > console. (I had to reboot the machine to free it, I had already killed
> > everything remotely related to console from an ssh session trying to
> > free it up.)
> >
> > Any thoughts what might be going on or what to do?
>
> What version of X is currently in testing? Does X only get hosed when
> running gnome-session?

More info, it's gnome that's dying, not X. If I remove all of my
~/.gnome* stuff, I can come up with sawfish but not gnome
panel. Sucks, but usable.

There's an error message about some OAF stuff, preferences something
restarting too many times, sorry, it's gone now, didn't write it
down. Poking about more on google while I still had it in myead, I
managed to find something about this having to do with
gnome-control-center (which I'm running).

I'm temporarily assuming that this is a gnome bug that will be fixed
in the next few days.

>  Strange that gnome-session got uninstalled instead of upgraded. There
> is also a gnome-core metapackage, that includes most of gnome (and
> gnome, which includes the kitchen sink).
>
> > BTW, apt-getting gnome-session did not modify the X initialization
> > stuff. I had to create a .xinitrc with the line "exec gnome-session"
> > to get gnome-session to start automatically. Before gnome-session just
> > ran without my intervention.
>
> Are you using GDM or XDM as a display manager? I think GDM is what knows
> how to start gnome-session automaticly.

No, not currently, I just run startx.

--
 Jeff