Stephen Gran on Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:51:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] debian testing gnome-session (gnome 2.0?)

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:29:08PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 07:45:46PM -0400, Will Dyson wrote:
> >
> > What version of X is currently in testing? Does X only get hosed when
> > running gnome-session?
>
> More info, it's gnome that's dying, not X. If I remove all of my
> ~/.gnome* stuff, I can come up with sawfish but not gnome
> panel. Sucks, but usable.
>
> There's an error message about some OAF stuff, preferences something
> restarting too many times, sorry, it's gone now, didn't write it
> down. Poking about more on google while I still had it in myead, I
> managed to find something about this having to do with
> gnome-control-center (which I'm running).
>
> I'm temporarily assuming that this is a gnome bug that will be fixed
> in the next few days.

It sounds like incompatible versions of different pieces are present -
try `COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l gnome* | grep ii | $PAGER` and take a look at
the output.  If there are substantial pieces of the GNOME system that
are still at 1.4 (like gnome-session, gnome-panel, whatever) it simply
won't work for now.  GNOME 1.4 and GNOME 2.x aren't compatible, AFAICT,
although the libraries have been made to coexist so you can run
individual apps (like galeon) that are linked to the 1.4 libs in a 2.x
session.

I don't know what the current state of testing is from a first hand
point of view (I upgraded both of my testing boxes to unstable because
testing was not getting any upgrades to important things due to several
migration problems), but I hear quite a lot of complaining about general
brokenness and some strange interactions due to this trickling in of
mismatched versions.  In an ideal world, testing should be in a
releasable state at all times, but the Release Manager has decided to
force some of the newer things into testing recently, and this seemingly
has screwed things up.  Looks like you got bitten by this, Jeff.

If you don't want to upgrade your box all the way to unstable, you can
add unstable to your sources.list and manage what comes from where with
an /etc/apt/preferences file (man apt_preferences for how to set up
pinning) and get a fully functional GNOME 2.x desktop until testing
sorts things out.  That being said, I am not that happy with GNOME 2.x
for a variety of reasons, and I have been poking around trying a variety
of Window Managers/Session MAnagers to try and replace the functionality
that I had in GNOME 1.4.

Good luck,
|  Stephen Gran                  | "Turn on, tune up, rock out." -- Billy  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Gibbons                                 |