amenex on Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:26:09 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Getting started with Mandrake 9.1

 Hello PLUG !

More data ... even though I've not yet solved the riddle of
reading CD's in the BookPC's CD burner drive, I can burn CD's
with it just fine. WinXP can read 'em, anyway.

I tried this on the command line to try to see that reluctant 80GB
drive:

                mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt

But I get the message that hdb1 can't be seen.  Yet, linux spots
the drive during bootup and asks me if I want it to be detected.
Where do I look to find the error messags involved in linux's
failure to detet it properly ?  Oddly, if I set the 80GB drive as
the first boot drive, then W98SE tries to start, and I see a VGA
screen with an image that comes from the drive. Therefore, the
BookPC's BIOS detects the drive OK.  It can't boot W98 from
the 80GB drive 'cuz of the swapped drive letter problem that
prompted me to abandon the MS O/S's.

I've found out that the maker of the CDWriter 12832 really
called it a CW212 (from the PLUG archives, no less !) and that
Mandrake Linux likes it better as simply IDE128.  I'm in an
either/or situation with the 80GB and CD drives, 'cuz there's
only room for one or the other on the only IDE controller that
the BookPC has.

I've even managed to mount several of the holdover partitions
from the previous Linux install on the 40GB Maxtor drive.

As a dedicated user and a most reluctant sysadmin, I'm pleased
with this distribution so far. Not too many command-line tasks.

Sorry about the odd email ID - that's what Voicenet's Webmail
client insists that I be when I send this from there rather than
from the BookPC.

Best regards,
George Langford
amenex@amenex.com