amenex on Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:37:04 -0400

[PLUG] Getting started with Mandrake 9.1

Subject:  Hello PLUG !

OK. I bit the bullet and installed Mandrake Linux. I chose to
retain the data partitions but to reformat the two partitions
on which the old Red Hat 7.2 Linux distro was installed.
All went well, so much so that I've already forgotten the fuzzy
places. I used the Mandrake 9.1 CD's to do the install.

Here are the main issues that remain.

The CD burner read the Mandrake CD's OK while doing the
install, but won't read CD's burned with Nero on my AK74-EC
system, not only while it was working OK with W98SE, but also
after the botched instalation of WinXP, while I was trying to
capture archival data. These CD's can be read with my missus's
WinXP system. I guess I need to tell Linux what sort of file
system to look for ...

I want to install Netscape 4.72 as my default browser. email
client, and HTML editor. It's still present on the upgraded
BookPC on which Mandrake Linux 9.1 is installled, but I can
see the files only as root.  What's the best place to which to
move the Netscape files ?

Is there a USB device that can adapt an external IDE hard
drive so that it can be read by the BookPC ? There are four
USB ports on the BookPC. No room inside for another hard
drive, though. It only has one dual IDE controller, which is
being used for the 40GB Maxtor Master drive and by the
CDWriter Slave drive.

Best regards,
George Langford
amenex@amenex.com