Adam Turoff on Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:53:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OS 8.6 to 9 and X

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 09:25:02AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> My neighbor asked me about this.  He has a Mac running 8.6.  He just
> bought an OS X CD from ebay.  He wants to upgrade to 9 and OS X with
> blowing anything away.  So, the questions are...
>
> In order to use classic mode, is version 9 necessary and does it come
> with OS X?

Yes, you need OS 9 to run in classic mode.  It comes on the OS X install CDs.
You can also install OS X without OS 9, which disables classic mode.

> Could the upgrade to version 9 and OS X be done without changing
> existing partitions and blowing away data?

Yes.  OS 8.6, OS 9 and OS X all run on HFS+ partitions.  I don't know
what the OS X install will do to the OS 8.6 system folder, but you
should be able to install 9/X without reformatting.

Z.