Bradley Molnar on Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:06:04 -0400

RE: [PLUG] OS 8.6 to 9 and X

>> The last two Macs I purchased had OS 9 and OS X pre-installed, and
>> booted into OS X by default.  I don't know the secret magic key
>> sequence
>> to boot into OS 9, so I never booted into it.

> There is no magic key sequence. In the System Preferences control
> panel, there is a panel called "startup disk." You select the OS9
> partition and reboot.

> To get back to OS X from OS 9, you do exactly the same thing.

I think that newer machines (G4 towers and newer, and probably most iMacs)
all you have to do is press and hold the option key during startup (after
you hit the power button).  These machines were built to know about OS X and
will scan the disk for both os 9 and os X start up disks.

But, here is the catch, the older ones (early G4's) only know to look for
one system folder per partition.  The newer ones can handle multiple system
folders on the same partition.  I do not know which ones are which, but, I
would assume that if you have a 'quicksilver' era G4 tower or newer, it
knows to check for multiple system folders on the same volume.

This does take a few seconds to locate all system folders, but it is much
faster than booting into one OS just to switch the startup to the other one.
The mouse works too.

-b