JP Toto on Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:07:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Gentoo Experts, I have questions

Generally the more specific you make the make.conf file the more likely you'll have compile problems. I usually make them somewhat generic but specific to the family of cpu's like 686 and stuff. That way I haven't had a compile error in an long time. Also, make sure you set the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf to "x86".

I can tell you that the gentoo forums are VERY active and you should be able to find a post related to your problem pretty easily

Cheers  - JP

Kam Salisbury wrote:

Well, it finally happened. I decided to reload my pc from Redhat 9 to Gentoo.

I downloaded the GRP iso built for Athlon (I have a 1GHz Tbird processor)
and followed the install directions for the platform specific build.
Unfortunately, during the 'emerge -u world' step (I chose a stage 3
tarball since it is already an athlon specific build) after quite some
time of building... I get a build error and that step fails. In make.conf
I did specify -mcpu=athlon but not -march...

Any tips?

Should I just let make.conf specify i686 builds?

Should I do a stage 2 tarball build instead?

Is this a known 'broke' thing? ie. Should I have not used the instructions
at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-1.4_rc2-install.xml  like the
gentoo website says to?

(Yes, I read through the FAQ...)

-- JP Toto ViceClown@yahoo.com jtoto@members.fsf.org

"186,000 miles per second. It's not just a good idea... it's the law."