Rebecca Ore on Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:51:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl pppoe help tonight

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 17:34, M.Simons wrote:
> besides pitching the 3rd annual linux event, I will also be at the meeting
> beggin' for help, with computer in tow..
>
> I have been trying to get a system going that will hookup with my verizon
> dsl/pppoe.. to no avail.. I dunno what I am doing wrong, I have been
> seeking the help of pinkee, and sent two emails privately to two list
> members that I thoiught might be able to help me, but neither has
> responded as of yet.  currently I have a debian (stable) box. previously I
> was attempting a LEAF distro on a much older system.
>
> so if anybody can help out, please see the clueless guy in the elvis
> costello t-shirt and philadelphia inquirer hat, thanks.

I strongly recommend a little router if you can afford one.  Otherwise,
what worked for me was Roaring Penguin PPPoE, but I don't know what
gotchas there might be for Debian.  (I sent you email but I'm still in
the middle of trying to get mutt using sendmail to authenticate to
outgoing.verizon.net, which may just be impossible.  Gnus is
authenticating my Verizon secondary user just fine).

Also, Verizon's been going up and down in Philadelphia over the last
couple of day.  It's a known problem, but if you've been trying to
connect when things are flakey, you would have been driving yourself
crazy (I installed RedHat-9 over ftp late last week and still haven't
recovered).

Normally, Verizon isn't like this.  Do you have your user name and
password?