Jeffrey J. Nonken on Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:50:17 -0400

[PLUG] SPARC 5

Well. I've just inherited a SPARCStation 5 from the same fellow who gave me the SS20s. Looks like an 85 MHz processor, don't know how much memory, has a framebuffer already installed and there was another one loose in the box. (I already have two spare framebuffers...) Also a floppy drive with the drive bracket.

(He didn't give it to me directly, he gave it to my wife while she was visiting yesterday.)

Theoretically I could turn it into a firewall/router or a small file server or something, but... I dunno. It's really difficult for me to work with the SPARCs since the only monitors that will work with them are in use, and there's not much room to add more systems... yeah, I know I should be working headless for server stuff, but this isn't a data center, it's my hobbyist stuff, and I don't wanna.

I'm having more luck accumulating stuff than I am getting rid of it. *sigh*

BTW, to whomever I originally offered to lend the internal CDROM drive, it looks to me like the one I have will fit an SS5 just fine. For whatever that is worth.