Magnus on Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:01:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SPARC 5

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 10:49 AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:

Theoretically I could turn it into a firewall/router or a small file server or something, but... I dunno. It's really difficult for me to work with the SPARCs since the only monitors that will work with them are in use, and there's not much room to add more systems... yeah, I know I should be working headless for server stuff, but this isn't a data center, it's my hobbyist stuff, and I don't wanna.

FWIW, I'm a collector of these things (as a hobbyist) and the headless stuff does work nicely. You use a serial cable to get the OS loaded, but then after that you do everything by ssh.

Under normal conditions (most of my stuff is still in storage from the move from NC->PA) I have a Linux box with a fast Matrox dual head video card which is about as fast a combination as I can muster for GUI stuff given the parts I have available to me. I ssh into the slower sparc boxen with X11 tunneling enabled. I could be running apps off of 20 different boxes, but it all appears on the one (set of) display(s). This makes it a lot more fun to add new machines to the farm.

I'm having more luck accumulating stuff than I am getting rid of it. *sigh*

You could always put it with the LX. :) But I would seriously encourage you to play with it a bit and see if you don't end up liking it.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish