Jeffrey J. Nonken on Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:37:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SPARC 5

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:00:04 -0400, Magnus wrote:

>On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 10:49 AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
>
>>Theoretically I could turn it into a firewall/router or a small
>>file
>>server or something, but... I dunno. It's really difficult for me
>>work with the SPARCs since the only monitors that will work with
>>them
>>are in use, and there's not much room to add more systems... yeah,
>>know I should be working headless for server stuff, but this isn't
>>data center, it's my hobbyist stuff, and I don't wanna.
>
>FWIW, I'm a collector of these things (as a hobbyist) and the
>headless
>stuff does work nicely.  You use a serial cable to get the OS
>loaded,
>but then after that you do everything by ssh.

I know HOW to go headless. I just prefer to have a local GUI until I'm more comfortable with *nix.

>Under normal conditions (most of my stuff is still in storage from
>the
>move from NC->PA) I have a Linux box with a fast Matrox dual head
>video
>card which is about as fast a combination as I can muster for GUI
>stuff
>given the parts I have available to me.  I ssh into the slower sparc
>boxen with X11 tunneling enabled.  I could be running apps off of 20
>different boxes, but it all appears on the one (set of) display(s).
>This makes it a lot more fun to add new machines to the farm.

I've had no luck doing remote X stuff so far. Of course, I don't really know what I'm doing, either.

>>I'm having more luck accumulating stuff than I am getting rid of
>>it.
>>*sigh*
>
>You could always put it with the LX.  :)  But I would seriously
>encourage you to play with it a bit and see if you don't end up
>liking
>it.

It's not that I think I won't like it. It's just that I don't know what I'd use it for. "Play with it" is kind of vague; I have tons of stuff to "just play with" and not enough time as it is. I'm not sure how much more an SS5 will teach me than an SS20? I mean, other than the difference between an SS5 and an SS20. Honestly, I've stopped using this SS20 for anything except storage, and my wife doesn't seem interested in hers, so they're sort of just sitting around collecting dust.

It's a computer. It runs *nix. I've gotten two of them running. What else do I need to know? OK, Sun hardware is different from PC hardware, but I'm not sure I'm due any great revelations from that? I can learn *nix on any of the PCs I've got here, and they're actually compatible with the rest of my hardware.