Magnus on Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:46:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SPARC 5

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 11:37 AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:

I've had no luck doing remote X stuff so far. Of course, I don't really know what I'm doing, either.

ssh makes it cake. As long as you have the right subset of X installed on the sparc 5 (which in X jargon is actually a client... the "server" is actually the machine that has the display) and allow X forwarding in ssh ( /etc/ssh/sshd_config ). Sometimes the client is not set by default to tunnel X, but that can be done manually with the "-X" option.

When both sides are set up to allow X tunneling by default, it is as simple as "ssh hostname", enter your password, and boom you're in. You should then be able to run any remote X applications and have them show up on your monitor.

It's not that I think I won't like it. It's just that I don't know what I'd use it for. "Play with it" is kind of vague; I have tons of stuff to "just play with" and not enough time as it is. I'm not sure how much more an SS5 will teach me than an SS20?

The only thing that an SS5 can teach you over an SS20 is more patience. ;-)

It's a computer. It runs *nix. I've gotten two of them running. What else do I need to know? OK, Sun hardware is different from PC hardware, but I'm not sure I'm due any great revelations from that? I can learn *nix on any of the PCs I've got here, and they're actually compatible with the rest of my hardware.

Well anyone who feels this way about their old *NIX hardware is welcome to throw it my way. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish