Jeffrey J. Nonken on Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:50:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SPARC 5

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:45:20 -0400, Magnus wrote:

>On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 11:37 AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
>
>>I've had no luck doing remote X stuff so far. Of course, I don't
>>really know what I'm doing, either.
>
>(which in X jargon is actually a client... the
>"server"
>is actually the machine that has the display)

Yep, know that... and I recently ran into a description that made this apparent reversal of the norm make sense.

 and allow X forwarding
>in
>ssh ( /etc/ssh/sshd_config ).  Sometimes the client is not set by
>default to tunnel X, but that can be done manually with the "-X"
>option.
>
>When both sides are set up to allow X tunneling by default, it is as
>simple as "ssh hostname", enter your password, and boom you're in.
>You
>should then be able to run any remote X applications and have them
>show
>up on your monitor.

Yeah, well, my head tends to explode when I get about halfway through... maybe I'm taking bites that are too big, I dunno.

>The only thing that an SS5 can teach you over an SS20 is more
>patience.
>;-)

I considered saying that myself, except it is more likely to infuriate me than teach me patience. Patience is a virtue I have a limited supply of. And less recently than I used to.

>>can learn *nix on any of the PCs I've got here, and they're
>>actually
>>compatible with the rest of my hardware.
>
>Well anyone who feels this way about their old *NIX hardware is
>welcome
>to throw it my way.  One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Understood, and I'm already doing that with the LX.

I'm frustrated. I've got this neat hardware that I'm having trouble making room for in my life.

Maybe I should stop trying and give up for real this time. I was on the verge of doing so before, but I understand the hardware is more reliable than PC, and I have problems with the PC architecture. (And where it's going.) Of course, one of the people who convinced me to hang on and keep trying is the same guy who eventually chased me out of the Sun Rescue list.

But I wonder if I'm cluttering my life with too much stuff at once. If I jettison the Sun hardware, it may simplify things.

Not going to just give all this away, though. I spent money on some of it.