Rebecca Ore on Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:11:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Speaking of other issues with Verizon

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:38:25PM -0400, sean finney
(seanius@seanius.net) wrote:
> hi rebecca,
>
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:16:13PM -0400, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten sendmail and mutt to work with it?  I've looked at
> > Suresh Ramasubramanian's Sendmail on a dialup and Philip S Tellia's
> > Sendmail Header and Envelope rewriting for offline mailing mini
> > HOWTO,
>
> i got it to work fine, but:
>
> a - if you use their smtp server, your address has to be from
> foo@verizon.net (or at least for us it did)

...and you have to authenticate.  A friend told me about ssmtp (Debian
has it in their distribution; I built it from a tarball).  You have to
put your username and password in the Mutt config file in your home
directory.

I haven't tested to see if I could use other addresses with it, just
wanted something that would get me out using this address without being
blocked.

Verizon's supposed to block direct MX sometime real soon, but is
concerned about what this will do to support.

There's also another program that comes as a SRPM that built on my
machine, just haven't installed it since it requires that sendmail go
away.

> b - if you use your own smtp server, you'll be blocked from most
> up-to-date rbl-enabled mail servers because you're in a dynamic
> address pool.  so you'll send mail just fine, but a lot of it will get
> bounced back to you without being delivered...
>

> my solution ended up being finding a friend outside of verizon who set
> up a secure tls relay through which i sent all my mail.

ssmtp or nullmailer.  Gnus obviously has an internal program that does
the same thing.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore