Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 01:22:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Accessing a FAT32 drive from Linux

I've had success with just including the windows partitions in /etc/fstab. I even get the mount/unmount/browse icons on the KDE desktop automatically with this. My fstab lines are:

/dev/hda1      /mnt/winboot      vfat umask=000   0   0
/dev/hde1      /mnt/windata      vfat umask=000   0   0
/dev/hde5      /mnt/winother      vfat umask=000   0   0

While the umask=000 may seem a bit insecure, it is no less secure than the data on those drives is when accessed natively in windows. I've found the umask=000 to work great on this dual boot machine where each family member has a linux account, but the windows boot is not set up for multiple user accounts.

Art

Fred K Ollinger wrote:

You could either download this:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

All drives that could possibly be mounted under linux will probably show
up on kde desktop.

Cli mode is this:

1. fdisk -l

This will show you your partition tables. You will see the type as well.

2. Next you can mount it:

mount -t msdos /dev/hdb1 /mnt

This will mount the first partition from the first slave drive onto /mnt.
You can take it from there. If you need more mount points, do this:

mkdir -p /one

for example.