Magnus on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:10:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tech jobs and politics

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 09:53 AM, Eugene Smiley wrote:

I know that there are a few people on this list like myself who are looking for work. I wanted to throw the following article up for discussion. I know I may risk offending someone on this list that has an H1-B or similiar, but I'd like to know what people's thoughts are on this subject.

While I think that our nation's open doors have helped create a great cultural melting pot of ideas & customs, I think that it is detrimental to give special preferences to importing cheap skilled labor when there is already a surplus of skilled workers that are out of work right now. If there are indeed jobs open, they should be filled by people who are already here. My understanding of the H1-B is that it was intended to provide relief to employers who cannot easily find people who are already here to fill their open positions. This may have had some merit in the years of milk & honey but today is a different day, with different needs.

IMHO big business has too much influence on politicians, on both sides of the aisle. When H1-B visas continue to go out in years of recession & depression, and good jobs are being sent to the poorest countries for what almost amounts to indentured servitude, it is clear that the balance of power is shifted too far in favor of business. Just this morning on NPR I was listening to a story about the national Do Not Call List and how the direct marketing industry is up in arms over it. I happen to work in this industry myself, but I disagree strongly with the "first amendment" defense that the industry is citing.

Call me an idealist, but I thought that the Bill of Rights was a bill of *human* rights. How can an artificial entity claim human rights? It's insanity.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish