Kevin Brosius on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:33:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] 7.9 G DVD-R's?

Stephen Gran wrote:

> Oh and next question for the group - does anyone have any experience
> with copying dvd's?  It looks like all my commercial ones are 7.9g, and
> the only dvd-r's I see for sale are 4.7g.  I guess what I'm looking for
> is people's experience ripping them - I have tried `mkisofs --dvd-video`
> without a huge amount of success, dd with a little more - and then
> suggestions as to where to get hold of 7.9g dvd -r's.
>
> Also, is the single/double sided issue?  Can this be managed by most dvd
> burners, or do you need a special one capable of burning to both sides?
> Sorry for the totally newb questions, but a lot fo this stuff is fairly
> new to me.  Just when I had the vcd thing all figured out, somebody went
> and gave me a dvd burner, and I have to start all over :)

You'll find a whole bunch of general DVD info in the DVD FAQ.  Goggle
hits it first if you enter 'dvd faq', at:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

General info on dual-layer DVD-Videos:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.18

And the plethora of DVD +R/+RW/-R/-RW and computers

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

There's not mention of, and I've not heard of, any dual layer recorders
in the consumer space.

--
Kevin Brosius