Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:06:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] [OT] xmacppc, netbsd 1.6.1, ppc8500

> On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 09:07:22AM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > Anyone get xmacppc up and running? I have heard that it works w/ all macs,
> > but I can't seem to find it. I found regular X, I think, but of course
> > that won't work. I scoured the web and google, and mailing lists for help
> > on this, but saw little about how to set this up for netbsd 1.6.1. Is this
> > possible to get some sort of X on an old macppc 8500 or should I give up?
>
> uriel:~% which Xmacppc                                                      [1]
> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xmacppc
> uriel:~% uname -a                                                           [2]
> NetBSD uriel 1.6.1_RC2 NetBSD 1.6.1_RC2 (URIEL) #0: Wed Mar 26 19:22:52 EST 2003     gr@grappa:/new/src/netbsd-1-6/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/URIEL macppc
>
> You *did* install xbase.tgz and xserver.tgz, right?

I thought I installed everything, but who knows. I'm probably going to
reinstall anyway so I'll look out for it. Incidentally, I had scoured
/usr/X11R6/bin/ for it, and I did not find it, though I did find regular
X, which did not work as should be expected in this case.

> That said, I'm not going to make any bets about how X will behave on
> that hardware. NetBSD's internally-maintained X servers are usually
> just enough to get the basic job done. With a later PowerMac (OF 3

I figured that what this means is that I can have all of X goodness except
that it will really suck, be slow and so on. Is this correct?

Or will have something that is not quite X? I won't waste too much time on
this unless I can pop up windows with tk code, which is the reason I want
this box to run X, also, to run a simple web browser, xpdf, and maybe
gnumeric.

> only?), you can just drop in a video card and use XF86 4. In theory,
> you should be able to do that in that machine, but I'm not sure if
> the PCI bus probes out quite the way it should with PCI cards
> lacking OF hardware on-board.
>
> In both cases, XF86 lacks drivers for the on-board Apple video
> chipsets, last I heard.

This is still the case and will probably remain so unless I grow another
brain and code it myself.

I might try the card trick out, but I heard that this is a lost cause
unless one has of3.0, and I am at 1.x.

Fred