Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:03:24 -0400

[PLUG] help runing fluxbox from kdm

Distro = Red Hat 7.2
KDE = 2.2.2
fluxbox = 0.1.14

I boot into and log out to KDM where other users in my family can log in. In other words, when the computer is not in use it is displaying the kdm session manager. I have been running fluxbox as my window manager, lately, but my son and daughter prefer KDE.

When I first loaded the distro, it installed KDE (default) Gnome, Window Maker, fvwm and twm. However Kkdm was only configured to display kde, gnome, and "failsafe", as choices. (Failsafe boots into plain XFree86 with xterm running.) I used the gui configurator in the KDE control panel to add windowmaker, fvwm and twm as choices. I didn't do anything else other than add the aforementoined lower case entries as choices, and they all worked.

A couple of months ago, I installed fluxbox, and added that choice to the session list for kdm. However, whenever I triy to run fluxbox from kdm, the default kde is launched instead. The only way I have been able to start fluxbox is to load Window Maker, and switch from there to fluxbox.

I have read the documentation for kdm and kdmrc installed on my hard drive. It references Xsession and Xclients and xinitrc, but I can't decipher them. The fluxbox documentation says I should put the line
exec /usr/local/bin/fluxbox
in ~/.xinitrc At first I couldn't see how that would work if I wasn''t logged in when kdm was launched, but in desperation, I tried it. No luck. Xclients refers to a file $HOME/.wm_style but there is no such file on my system, and I have no guidance as to what the structure should be.

Can anyone help me get kdm to allow fluxbox sessions without first launching Window Maker?

--

Art Alexion