Rebecca Ore on Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:19:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tech jobs and politics, and IT diploma mills

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 10:58:33PM -0400, William H. Magill (magill@mcgillsociety.org) wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 11:24  AM, Craig Brennan wrote:
> >I don't know where your "massive salary" idea came from, but I started
> >at $30,000 per year... not bad, but certainly not massive.
>
> Massive depends on what you are comparing it to...
>
> The latest data I can find is for 2000...
>
> The Median HOUSEHOLD income for the US was $39,657
> In Pennsylvania, it was slightly less,     $38,938.
> In the Philadelphia METRO (MSA) it was     $47,345.
> In Philadelphia it was                     $29,947.
> In the Philadelphia suburbs it was         $55,823.
>
> Median "per capita" income for the MSA was $28,874.
> and for Philadelphia it was                $16,147.
> and for the Phila suburbs it was           $27,385.
>
> So a starting salary (which, I believe is for a Bachelors with no
> additional credits) of $30,000 is pretty massive when compared to the
> median for the rest of the city. And above the medians for both the MSA
> and the suburbs.

But only 17% or so of Philadelphians have BAs or BSes -- and that would
be the base you would want to compare teaching salaries with, not with
all job catagories.

> [And remember, the median is not the average. The median is halfway
> between the highest and the lowest numbers reported. The average income
> numbers are higher, being significantly distorted by 8 figure
> "executive" compensation packages.]

I suspect that there's as much distortion from people who aren't working
full time, or, as in the suburbs, not working at all outside the home.

Also, you're talking about public education jobs.  Check what adjunct
faculty gets per course at the college level or what private schools
pay.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore