Art Clemons on Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:22:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tech jobs and politics, and IT diploma mills

William H. Magill:
>So a starting salary (which, I believe is for a Bachelors with no
>additional credits) of $30,000 is pretty massive when compared to the
>median for the rest of the city. And above the medians for both the MSA
>and the suburbs.

Be careful with your use of stats from the census. For example, the figures you cite aren't as usable as you think. They are broken down per person, but are per household. The Philadelphia median you cite is particularly disappointing. What you really need is a breakdown of salaries for the college educated for the metro area (which can be retrieved with the Ferret program on the census.gov site if you want to learn how confusing things can be and how to set parameters). Comparing someone with a high school education earning $9 per hour with a college educated teacher leads to funny results and not realistic ones. $30,000 is not a great deal of money per year especially after taxes hit.