Ian Reinhart Geiser on Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:01:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SuSE Distribution Policy?

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 11:34 pm, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> Wow - That was like pulling teeth. I wanted to offer SuSE linux as an
> option for the Linux boxes I have been selling. I try to stay with the
> free versions where I can - although I have a relationship with Xandros
> and am in talks with Lindows. I looked into SuSE OEM/reseller - but they
> want me to pay a lot of money annually. Well, I suppose I can ship the
> retail unit so long as I buy it. Thanks for looking into it.

Yeah suse is one of those evil linux companies that likes to make money on
their dist.  Lucky you can do netinstalls of releases that contain only GPL
software off the network.    all you miss on the FTP install is the non OSS
stuff that makes it illegal to resell and distribute the CD.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser

> On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 22:34, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > > Anyone familiar with the SuSE CD distribution policy?
> > >
> > > If I buy SuSE 8.2 (desktop or pro) can I make copies of the cd's and
> > > give away or sell like I can with Red Hat? Am I only allowed to put it
> > > on one machine?
> >
> > Good question.  Not knowing I checked out CD one of a copy of the SuSE
> > 8.2 Pro Upgrade.  It contains a copy of the GPL in the COPYING file.
> > However, there is also a COPYRIGHT file (only in German...) which
> > babelfish tells me says:
> >
> > ===
> > Not all programs on the CDs are Freeware.
> >
> > It partly concerns Shareware, partly is reduced the use for commercial
> > purposes.
> >
> > In the descriptions of package to the valid in each case copyright one
> > refers. We take over however no warranty for the correctness of these
> > data. Read please in the doubt the original copyright information to the
> > programs.
> > ===
> >
> > Basically, I think the answer is, that you get a single user license to
> > use the extra programs they ship with the Pro version.  However I don't
> > see any obvious description of their policy.
> >
> > Looking at the product box, there is a 'Terms and Conditions' block,
> > which claims that all sales fall under one of two agreements published
> > on their web site at www.suse.de/en/.  Transactions with "entrepreneurs"
> > are covered under a "General Terms and Conditions of Sale, SuSE Linux
> > AG, International B2B", and consumers under the same, but B2C.
> >
> > Looking at the web site, I finally ran acroos this comment, pertaining
> > to the YAST admin tool they supply (part of the CD install set):
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Dissemination
> >
> > It is forbidden to reproduce or distribute data carriers which have been
> > reproduced without authorisation for payment without the prior written
> > consent of SuSE Linux AG or SuSE Linux. Distribution of the YaST
> > programme, its sources, whether amended or unamended in full or in part
> > thereof, and the works derived thereof for a charge require the prior
> > written consent of SuSE Linux AG.
> >
> > All programmes derived from YaST, and all works derived thereof as a
> > whole or parts thereof may only be disseminated with the amended sources
> > and this licence in accordance with 2b). Making YaST or works derived
> > thereof available free of charge together with SuSE Linux on FTP Servers
> > and mailboxes is permitted if the licences on the software are observed.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > So, I'd say they don't want you selling copies without prior approval.
> > Clear as mud, eh?

- --
- --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri@yahoo.com>
- --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publickey.asc
- --:Public Calender: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publicevents.ics
- --:Jabber: geiseri@geiseri.myip.org
- --:Be an optimist -- at least until they start moving animals in
- --:   pairs to Cape Canaveral. ~ Source Unknown